Please follow these steps to update your system:
1. TimeMachine backup: Locate your drive. Connect it. Run a backup.
(need help? check out this guide: http://kb.danahall.org/time-machine/ )
2. Pick a time to install. This process will take 20 – 60 minutes. This can be done at the end of the day before you leave (as long as you cover step 4!) or over lunch break. PLEASE do not run this update right before class / a meeting where you will need your workstation.
3. Go to Managed Software Center and run the update “Install OSX High Sierra”
(need help? check out this guide: http://kb.danahall.org/managed-software-center/ )
4. Don’t walk away! When your system restarts you will need to log back in to your encrypted workstation to kick off the final install.
5. Get coffee, lunch, read a good book (part of one, anyway) while your system updates. Usually the process will take 20 minutes, but a nice, full hard drive can take up to an hour.
5. Log back in and run any remaining updates in Managed Software Center.
If you run into ANY trouble with these steps, please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or swing by the technology office, and we would be happy to guide you.
You can also contact us at email@example.com to arrange a time to have your computer completely re-imaged. This can help you to get a “fresh start” with your computer, and usually results in a smoother-running system. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time.