Change the default font size in MathType
- Open Mathtype application,
- From the menu at the top, navigate to Size -> Define:
- (1) Set “Full” 24 or whatever size works best for you.
- Mathtype and MS Word define font size differently. You will notice the equation expand and then shrink when you close the equation editor.
Change Font Size cont…
Alternatively, you can double-click the text for font size (1) at the bottom of the MathType window to bring up the same options.
- Use the Mathtype “Ribbon” from within word (1).
- Press the “Inline” button to create an equation (2).
- Enter equation and close the window the Mathtype window. The equation will be injected into the document.
- Copying the equation out of Mathtype window and pasting into word creates an object. Objects are not editable in the future.
If the equation contains fractions:
After creating an equation, from within the Word application:
(Command+D), click the “Advanced” tab
Position needs to be “lowered” by 11pt (1)
Reason: Word is aligning the equation to top character of the fraction (2).
- Double click the equation or Right Click (or Control-Click) –> Edit to reopen the equation in the Mathtype editor.
- Check the font size in Mathtype
- Look to the bottom of the MathType window and change if necessary.
- Menu: “Size” –>”Define”
Editing Equations without fractions:
Once edited, the equations default to Lowered “7pt”
Change this to to Lowered “3pt” (1)
Editing Equations with fractions:
Once edited, the equations default to Lowered “21pt”
Change this back to Lowered “11pt” (1)