Please follow these steps to update your system:
1. Pick a time to install. This process will take 20 – 60 minutes. This can be done at the end of the day before you leave (as long as you cover step 4!) or over lunch break. PLEASE do not run this update right before class / a meeting where you will need your workstation.
2. Save and close any open documents.
3. Go to:
- “System Preferences” (macOS 13 +)
- or “System Settings” (macOS 12 or earlier)
- Apply any available updates, giving your login username and password (if prompted).
4. Don’t walk away! When your system restarts you will need to log back in to your encrypted workstation to kick off the final install.
5. Get coffee, lunch, read a good book (part of one, anyway) while your system updates. Usually the process will take 20 minutes, but a nice, full hard drive can take up to an hour.
If you run into ANY trouble with these steps, please do not hesitate to email email@example.com or swing by the technology office, and we would be happy to guide you.